Monday, June 23, 2008

John Keats

It sucks that Keats died at such a young age because if he had lived to be even just 40 years old or so I honestly believe that he could have composed some of the best poems ever because the few that we do have are great. His poems seem to deal a lot with death and I guess that is to be expected since his father, mother, and brother all died and he personally cared for 2 of them until their dying day.

I liked "To Autumn" because it made me feel calm as I was reading it. I'm personally a summer person but I liked how he described the wonderous things that the autumn season brings and what he is going to miss about it. When I read the the mini cliff note that was given for the word "autumn" it said that there was a double meaning to this poem, "The ode evokes two competing but related senses of autumn: the social context of harvest bounty; and the symbolic association with death" (pg. 443). I grasped the poem in the context of harvest and its social applications but I really didn't see how death was incorporated into this poem as well. The only thing I could think of was the changing seasons is like the changes that occur throughout life and maybe the cold that winter brings can somewhat correlate with death in some way I think. That part really did confuse me but other than that I really loved reading this.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Samantha,

Good focus and commentary on Keats's "Ode to Autumn," although I would rather you had quoted and discussed the poem than some explanatory notes.

PYT said...

I like how you incorporated the additional notes on autumn. It may have been confusing to discern where the death took place. To me, "To Autumn" prepares my mind frame for change or a reaching of an endpoint. Winter usually always symbolizes the end of life. So I reached a similar conclusion with the ending. I enjoyed the blog Sam.

Linh Huynh said...

I enjoyed all of Keat's "Odes to..". I must've missed the footnote about the meanings of autumn associating with death. It does set you in the mood to feel relaxing in autumn.